· Food for thought: This summer, Oakland libraries are serving free lunches to children, five days a week http://goo.gl/VBq8H
· Tuna Packers Settlement: Bumble Bee Foods LLC & Tri-Union Seafood (Chicken of the Sea) LLC Reach A Deal with California http://goo.gl/Jh9N6
“[The Farm Bureau] opposes the labeling of genetically engineered food, animal welfare reform and environmental regulations. In Washington, its well-funded team of lobbyists and lawyers seek to dismantle the federal Clean Water Act and the Clean Air Act, opposing pesticide restrictions and increased scrutiny of green house gas emission and the pollution from CAFOs,”
· There Is More Than One Way to Grow a Tomato – Biodynamic Farming Is Probably the Weirdest http://goo.gl/FXvfb
Biodynamic farming produces wholesome, pesticide-free food and drink – but the methods are a little out of the ordinary.
· Pineberries and cream? The new summer fruit which looks like a white strawberry… but tastes like pineapple http://goo.gl/zf4id
· Edible Bus Stop turns London Transit routes into a network of community gardens http://goo.gl/g5rKD
Guerrilla gardening at it’s best…
· Drought and Heat
o Activists Call on Agriculture Secretary to Discuss Links between Drought and Climate Change http://goo.gl/ZJiJH
Premier Mushrooms (Calusa Calif.) and the triple bottom line…
· Bucky Box (NZ)
o Tips for Local Food #1: Get Social – a guide to social media for local food enterprises http://goo.gl/r0JU0
o Tips for Local Food #2: Existing Resources & Support – standing on the shoulders of giants http://goo.gl/8v4rf
· Russia to Slaughter at Least 33,000 Pigs After African Swine Fever Outbreak http://goo.gl/B0KUv
· Threatened sharks and rays granted critical protection in the Mediterranean http://goo.gl/8meiX
· An Urban Farm (Portland, OR) Feeds Local Neighborhood with Help from Disabled http://goo.gl/FZGcB
Saving the food we waste…
· Forced to Work on a Broken Ankle? Workers Defy Abusive Supervisors for Big Union Win http://goo.gl/xvIda
A firsthand look at the backbreaking conditions that lead Pilgrim’s Pride employees to fight back – and win.
· Marysville, California (Peach) Farms are Desperate For Workers, Despite High Unemployment http://goo.gl/lJE94
They seem to think the labor problem is due to “People just sitting at home doing nothing…” and claim “You could easily make $20 an hour over here.” Emm, I think that working conditions, pay and immigration laws may have more to do with it… Fieldwork is specialized, not just anyone can walk out and harvest, each cultivar takes specific skill set for harvesting well…
· Some Alberta seniors will soon be eating better meals – they can thank the union for them http://goo.gl/2wLIh
Employees who demonstrated against the company tell Salon they’ve lost their jobs and faced other consequences
We invest billions to create a functioning city. How do we create local businesses that won’t be tempted to pack up our jobs and leave town?
The city of San Luis Obispo, located in central California has announced a “buy local” food policy for its jail and Juvenile Services Center, reports the San Luis Obispo’s Tribune.
· It’s All About the Farm Bill
o Congress Set to Take Food Aid Away From Millions of Hungry Americans
This makes no sense from a humanitarian point of view or from an economic one.
· GOP Senators Celebrate ‘Meat Monday’ After USDA’s ‘Meatless Monday’ Mishap http://goo.gl/7UDxv
o Much Ado about Meatless Monday: Why the USDA Retraction Matters
· Hog-tied… Muscatine County (IA) Supervisors tell residents: our hands are tied when it comes to keeping a hog confinement operation out of Nichols http://goo.gl/hGI8d
Feds trying to take over New Mexico’s water supply?
… has just been granted approval in South Africa for a new GM 2,4-D tolerant maize…
· California Proposition 37, GMO Labeling
o California Democratic Party… Officially Endorses Proposition 37, California Right to Know http://goo.gl/YDxZ7
o Why Major Food Organization is Teaming Up With Monsanto and Friends to Block Your Right to Know What’s in Your Food http://goo.gl/UkQ8x
“Big Food companies like ConAgra, Smucker, Hormel, Kellogg, Coca-Cola and PepsiCo want to block consumer protection legislation.”
I kid you not…
· Wal-Mart OK with selling genetically modified sweet corn (Agent Orange Corn) http://goo.gl/ENaAA
Scientists in China have created genetically modified cows that produce “human” milk.